The Higher State Soil Shaker 2 is a trail-running shoe designed for runners on a budget. Here’s a rundown of the key features, plus the pros and cons of this shoe. We have updated this page, which originally featured the first edition of this shoe. The first section of this page focuses on the Higher State Soil Shaker 2 review. However, you can still read our original review in the second half.
Table of Contents
Soil Shaker 2 Review
Ripstop Mesh Upper
With an updated upper, the Soil Shaker 2 is lighter and more comfortable than its predecessor. The new ripstop mesh is tough and breathable, making it ideal for running in all conditions.
Moulded EVA Midsole
A moulded EVA footbed offers maximum cushioning and comfort, mile after mile. For trail running shoes that is affordable and made on a budget, the quality is surprisingly good.
Rugged Outsole & 8mm Drop
A new outsole of the Soil Shaker 2 is rugged and grippy, making it ideal for running on all surfaces. The 7mm deep lugs provide excellent traction, even in the most challenging conditions.
The Soil Shaker 2 has an 8mm drop, which is perfect for fell and mountain running. This gives you the agility and cushioning you need to tackle any terrain.
For added safety, the Soil Shaker 2 features reflective details that help you be seen in low-light conditions. These reflective details are a really cool safety feature to have.
Higher State Soil Shaker 2 Pros & Cons
Higher State Soil Shaker 2 Pros
- New outsole of the Soil Shaker 2 is made from a durable rubber compound that can take a beating. After logging hundreds of miles in these shoes, the outsole will still be in good condition.
- The midsole features a layer of shock-absorbent foam that cushions your feet from the impact of each foot strike. This makes for a very comfortable ride, even on long runs.
- Lightweight upper is made from a breathable mesh material that keeps your feet cool and dry, even on hot days.
- The Soil Shaker 2 has a very aggressive tread pattern that provides good traction on even the most technical trails.
- Best of all, the Soil Shaker 2 is very affordable, making it a great option for runners on a budget.
Higher State Soil Shaker 2 Cons
- The Soil Shaker 2 does not have much in terms of “bells and whistles”. While this is not necessarily a bad thing, some runners may prefer more feature-rich shoes.
- Soil Shaker 2 is not available in half sizes, so you may have to size up or down depending on your foot width.
- The laces on the Soil Shaker 2 are shorter than average, which can make it difficult to get a snug fit. Not a huge problem; the laces can be replaced.
Higher State Soil Shaker 2 Customer Reviews
What are customers saying about the Higher State Soil Shaker 2? Take a look below to find out!
Higher State Soil Shaker 2 Conclusion
Overall, I am very impressed with the Soil Shaker 2. It is an affordable trail running shoe that performs well in all areas. If you are looking for a no-frills trail shoe that won’t break the bank, the Soil Shaker 2 is a great option. Higher State make some really cool, and affordable gear and these shoes are no different.
If you’re looking for affordable trail running shoes that won’t break the bank, the Higher State Soil Shakers are a great option. They’re perfect for running on rough terrain with an 8mm drop and a rugged outsole. Plus, the Soil Shaker 2 is even more durable than its predecessor. So if you’re looking for a trail running shoe that can handle anything you throw at it, the Higher State Soil Shaker 2 is a great choice.
The original Soil Shaker is no longer available! However, we have included our first review of this trail shoe below, so you can compare the differences.
Original Higher State Soil Shaker Review
We’ve decided to focus more time on affordable gear, so here we have the Higher State Soil Shaker Review for you guys. Available on SportsShoes.com for only £29.99 they grabbed are a attention a while back and warrant a full review. Take a look below at what the Soil Shaker has to offer, not only trail runners, but also walkers and hiker who prefer a lightweight option over traditional hiking boots.
Design & Build
You’ll be impressed by the look of the Higher State Soil Shaker. It comes in 2 bright colours – Red & Orange, which add some visibility to the shoe as well as a more standard Black Or Grey. The Soil Shaker looks very similar to the INOV-8 Roclite, just a hell of a lot cheaper. In addition to the aesthetically pleasing look, the construction seems robust, well-done, and also durable. Some might say it’s a bulky-looking shoe. However, they feel surprisingly lightweight on foot and only weigh 320g.
Various Colour Options
Soil Shaker Fit
If you have wide feet and prefer a wide toe box or like to wear a bigger shoe for thicker socks, these are just about perfect. The Soil Shaker is able to keep you comfy for the entire run, no sore spots, heat-spots or rubbing on your feet.
The Higher State Soil Shakers are made from a dual mesh upper. It is not waterproof (if that’s your thing); the upper does an excellent job of keeping trail debris out of the shoes. The gusseted tongue has plenty of padding protection to make these comfortable shoes. Higher State has also reinforced the toe box, so, all in all, you’ll be pretty well protection on the upper part of the shoe.
The Higher State Soil Shaker has a Moulded EVA midsole and footbed, providing you with a stable and supported base. However, it lacks a little bit of lateral movement support though, which I quite like – although I have friends who prefer a rock-solid base from a shoe. The insole is relatively basic; you might benefit from adding a memory foam insole to the shoe.
Grip & Traction
You’ll be pleased with the excellent grip on the Soil Shaker, which was far better than one might expect. The Soil Shaker’s 8mm multi-directional lugs can easily handle muddy, steep hill descents, and the traction will fill your confidence.
Soil Shaker Technical Specifications
- Mesh Upper – Offers debris protection yet still provides much-needed breathability.
- Gusseted Tongue – Stops debris from entering the shoe.
- Traditional Lace-Up System– Ensures quick and easy lace-up for a secure fit.
- EVA Midsole – Provides basic lightweight cushioning.
- EVA Footbed – For comfort and anatomical support.
- Padded Tongue – Provides maximum comfort, reducing the risk of rubbing.
- Reinforced Toe Box – Offers additional protection against loose debris.
- Reinforced Heel – Built for optimal support while descending hills on the run.
- Soil Shaker Outsole – Specially designed to clear debris with each stride you take on the trail.
- Grippy Rubber – Ensures a great combination of grip and durability at a low retailprice.
- 8mm Multi-Directional Lugs – Giving maximum traction through severe conditions.
- Weight – 320g
- Drop – 8mm.
Higher State Soil Shaker Review Conclusions
If you need a trail shoe for gnarly, technical trails, hills, sandy coast paths, and a little road if needed, they are super grippy and comfortable in all situations. I would certainly trust them on longer weekend runs, and they are most definitely an excellent option for hikers or fell walkers who want support without the weight.
Overall, I praise Higher State for offering a well-made shoe that works very well in critical areas. It will make a tremendous competitive shoe for runners that work on a smaller budget, 1/4 of most premium trail runners; they are a realbudget=buster. If you are still questioning the shoes after reading my review, look at the price, you owe it to yourself to give these shoes a chance to impress you.
For those of you still want some more options, look at our guide on the Best Trail Running Shoes Under £50.
Where To Buy Higher State Soil Shaker Trail Shoes
Disclaimer: This guide contains affiliate links, and I earn a small commission from any sale that occurs via my links. This, however, does not change my opinion; I always do my best to provide the facts and suggest products that will benefit my users. You pay no more and no less for using these links. It does, however, help to sustain my blog.